Spain And Greece Trip

Blog during the course of my trip to Spain and Greece in April 2006.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Day at Lindos

After two days of excellent sunshine, it is rain on the only day that I have left to explore around Rhodes. After checking out of my hotel, I had to take a cab to the Rodos Palace Convention Center. The taxi fare, 7 Euros for a distance of one kilometer. Real ripoff. Good that I can get it expensed. Here is my advice for this place: Negotiate your fare in advance, and mention that you are paying for the whole taxi if you are travelling in a group, for some reason taxi drivers here think they can charge per person, which I find very wierd. And they have no taxi meters, so it doesnt depend on the distance you drive.

I attended the keynote talk in the morning and then joined Avery and Rishi. We left the hotel at around 9:30 in a tour bus. The route is along the east coast of Rhodes driving 60 kilometers to the south.

The drive was very scenic, and hour guide was very good. She explained the history of the island
, which in many ways is similiar to that of India in terms of rule by forigners, intermixing of cultures etc. The three main industries of Rhodes are tourism, pottery and olive oil. The island is dotted with olive trees all around. She explained the process of harvesting of the olives, and that it takes 5 kilos of olives for 1 kilo of olive oil. The best olive oil actually comes from a neighbouring island Cretes, and I will try to buy a small bottle from Athens.

Lindos is one of the most visited villages in Greece. It was a major maritime power in history. It is gifted by an unique coastline and strong acropolis (fort at the topmost point). The current village still preserves its antiquity and its traditional architectural style. All the mansions are white, and the streets are narrow and very beautiful. The guide told us that any building or house that comes down must be restored in the very way it was designed in coordination with the archaelogical society of Greece.

We got beautiful views of Lindos, the acropolis and the sea beyond as we entered that town. After be alighted, we walked to the center square. There our guide explained us the significance of various things, and then we walked along the streets of Lindos to climb to the acropolis. It was drizzling by now. The streets here are very lively. The views from the acropolis are fantastic, I wish I could post them today, but my camera cord is inside my backpack, and I dont have time to dig in for it. I will post them tomorrow. At the acropolis, there is the Temple of Athens, which has been restored between 2000 and 2005 as the original one crumbled down. The beaches down by the sea look fabulous, but there was no one at the beach due to the rain. After spending time at the Acropolis, we walked down the streets, bought souveneirs at a shop, and then had lovely crepes.

We didnt have time to visit a pottery factory, because the bus had to return to the conference by 1. Due to the bad weather, I decided not to go to Rhodes old town, and stayed at the conference. I am now blogging from my hotel, and will leave in 15 minutes to the airport. My flight to Athens is at 8:30 and I hope I can reach the youth hostel I am staying at in Athens by 11.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home