Spain And Greece Trip

Blog during the course of my trip to Spain and Greece in April 2006.

Monday, April 24, 2006

The Streets of Barcelona


Barcelona is a nice city on walk in. Traffic is very well managed; some fo the narrow roads in the old city are closed to traffic and open to the public, the walkways near the port are wide and well designed, and La Rambla is an excellent avenue for an evening walk.

My first destination in the morning was La Sagrada Familia, the work started by Antoni Gaudi in 1882, still under progress, and which will take 80 more years to complete. I reached there at a great time, locals running for a charity marathon were just completing their run over here which was the finish point. A large crowd had gathered to cheer the runners. The architecture here is very impressive, a picture enclosed. The interior shows all the signs of ongoing construction, support pillars, cement etc. I took the staircase up. It was extremely windy today, and I was very cold in my single layer of a cotton shirt. The views of the city from above are great. I took about an hour for the climb and decent given the crowds. Lots of people stop at the view points where there is not ample space, and this increases the congestion. Downstairs I ventured into the museum which has pictures of the construction of this cathedral in the last 100 years.

I boarded the subway to Jaume 1, in the heart of the old city, which had abundant crowds. The narrow lanes were full of people. I reached the cathedral in good time to witness the ongoing Sunday mass. Outside locals where performing the sardana, the folk dance of Catalina. The music was great and the atmosphere was vibrant. I must have spent more than an hour in this square.

Later, a stroll to La Rambla, alive with the Sunday crowds. I had a full course Spanish meal; chicken soup, veil with mushrooms and potatoes, ice cream, and coffee. The food was great and cheap. Here in Spain, lunch is taken quite late in the day, usually between 2 and 4, which is quite different from some other parts in Europe. Dinner will be taken between 9 and midnight. People stay in the restaurants sometimes into the late hours of the morning.

I strolled around La Rambla, taking pictures of the numerous flower stalls. The roses here are so pretty. La Rambla ends at Placa de Catalunya, which serves as the hub of the Barcelona transportation system. People were feeding pigeons over here, and I have not seen as many pigeons over here other than the central piazza in Venice.

A metro ride took me to Placa de Espagna, where I walked to the National Museum of Catalan Art. This building is impressive in its architecture, a picture enclosed. From the top, you have lovely views of Placa de Espagna and the lovely mountain of Montjuic beyond. We could see a football fest at the Espagna for which hundred of people were beginning to line up.

Port Vell is a great place for a evening walk. The Rambla de Mar is a nice walkway which takes you deep into the port. This area has seen massive development of late, making it the heart of Barcelona entertainment activity. Rambla de Mar took me to Maremagnum, Barcelona’s biggest shopping complex.

I walked around the waterfront which took me to La Barceloneta. This place is famous for its seafood restaurants. Then a metro ride took me back to the old city, where I strolled in the streets and reached the Santa Maria de Mar. This is a 14th century church, a masterpiece of Gothic art. The church is supported by slim octagonal colums, which give it a very spacious look inside.

After having dinner of Tapas and Sangria, I returned to my hotel all weary and exhausted. I was looking at the pics in my digicam, and have no idea when I fell asleep. I woke at 4 in the morning, and unable to sleep, I am blogging right now.

adeu

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barcelona is a remarkable city. It has everything one can ever dream of: great people, amazing weather, beautiful architecture, history, great artists, tasty food and that essence a city need to be just perfect. Barcelona is a world itself.We booked a room in one of the Barcelona hotels right in the center of the Old Town - wanting to be close to everything. From the beautiful Barri Gothic to the incredible Sagrada Familia, the city never sleeps, glowing every second of every minute. The Ramblas are the heart of the city, arousing its character and spreading it all over the place.This is definitely a city to remember, a city to enjoy and a city to discover.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just saw your comment after revisiting my blog after a long time. Glad that you enjoyed Barcelona as well. Thanks for reading my blog.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home