Spain And Greece Trip

Blog during the course of my trip to Spain and Greece in April 2006.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Benaki Museum

Blogging from Geneva Airport. Today the skies are beautiful and I had great views of the Swiss Alps as we flew over them. How much I long to be there someday. I didn’t have my camera handy then, but I will keep it with myself to take a few pictures in the next flight.

At Athens the weather was pretty murky and it was raining in the morning. Went to the Benaki Musuem in the morning. This museum has excellent collections from the Paleolithic Age (before 7000 BC) and through the history of Greece into modern times. There are 36 halls in 3 stories with artifacts arranged in chronological order. Collections include samples of stones, axes, etc., dating to the Paleolithic Age, pottery, bronze, gold and other metal works dating to the stone age, and paintings, dresses, ornaments, and weapons dated to more recent times. I got inspired to learn about Greek history and bought a book later from Athens airport.

The trip to the airport from the youth hostel was longer than expected, the bus from Syntagma square is definitely a better option, it is cheaper and has better frequency.

Bought some chocolates for myself and friends from the Geneva airport duty free shopping. Not sure where I am staying tonight, I didn’t make any reservations, hope to find some hotel close to the airport. My flight from Barcelona is at 9:20 am tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home